A Note on Pattern



As in every profession, there are lightbulb jokes about publishing. None of them are funny, but all contain a wee kernel of truth.

To whit:

Q: How many publicists does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
A: Can it wait till after lunch?

Q: How many managing editors does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: I already took care of it.

Q: How many jacket designers does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: Does it have to be a lightbulb?

Thusly has pattern entered the Black Jack designathon fray:

"Do these designs have to consist of only solid colors?"

The answer is: "I'm not sure." But I am glad to have these maverick designs on board in any case. Because, well, why not? I have received gradients, polka dots, and you name it. And there is nothing inherently wrong with that. I have, in fact, encouraged experimentation. HOW these patterned designed will be ultimately evaluated by our recently empaneled expert judges, remains to be seen. So sending a pattern in lieu of a solid color pattern is a bit of a gamble. But our lives are made richer through risk-taking. So go on ahead.

As I mentioned earlier, I am not posting all the designs I receive- But, as an exemplar of the "Pattern" School of Black-Jacketing, here is a set I call:

THE GREBE-UPON-AVON UNITED, HOME-AND-AWAY, FOOTBALL-JERSEY KIT






* * * * *

"It is not the form that dictates the color, but the color that brings out the form.." —HANS HOFFMAN